The New Periodontal Procedure for Receding Gums
More than half of the American population has experienced periodontal disease. The onset of gum disease is called Gingivitis. At this stage, there is almost no irritation and it is reversible with professional dental treatment. However, if patients do not receive gum recession treatment, gingivitis can progress to a more serious condition called Periodontitis. At this stage, an individual may experience discomfort, pain, sensitive teeth, and even receding gums. Fortunately, we have two dentists who are fully certified to perform Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation surgery.
What is Gum Recession?
Gum recession is the gum tissue pulling back, resulting in more of the tooth, or root, showing. Receding gums cause gaps to appear between the teeth and gum line, which makes it easier for bacteria to build up. Leaving gum recession untreated can result in other types of disease, damage to bone structure, and tooth loss. Some symptoms of gum disease are:
- Swollen, tender gums that appear darker red than normal
- Gums easily bleed when brushed or flossed
- Exposed tooth roots due to gum recession
- Loose and sensitive teeth due to weakened gum support
- Bad breath caused by trapped bacteria
- Loss of teeth due to gum and bone deterioration
Causes Of Gum Disease
- Tobacco use
- Excessive stress
- Grinding or clenching one’s teeth
- Certain medications can affect the health of a person’s gums, jaws, and teeth
- Certain inflammatory-related diseases and illnesses such as diabetes, heart problems, and arthritis
Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation Surgery.
Traditional treatments such as pocket flap surgery or tissue grafting can be painful and require several appointments before positive results are achieved. Luckily, our highly experienced team has the knowledge and experience to perform Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation Surgery. During the procedure, a small pinhole is created, and a specialized instrument is inserted into the hole to create a flap. The flap is secured with a collagen strip to assist in wound stabilization and ensure the root stays covered during the healing process. Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation offers a number of patient-friendly benefits over traditional oral gum surgery such as:
- One pinhole can treat two to three teeth
- Gum treatment is a permanent repair
- Immediate esthetic improvement
- No bleeding and little or no pain during treatment
- Patients can resume brushing and flossing after 24 hours
Receding Gums Specialists
New Image Cosmetic & Family Dentistry is home to Dr. Perkins and Dr. Moller who are two of only seven dentists in the Vancouver WA area specially trained to perform the pinhole gum surgery procedure. They will take care of your gums and guarantee a job well done. If you have receding gums, give us a call today! We are happy to answer any questions you may have and schedule you an appointment.
Call (360) 604-7151 today to schedule a Pinhole® Gum Rejuvenation evaluation.