New Image Can Help You Overcome Dental Phobia
Many patients have experienced some level of anxiety prior to a visit with their dentist—some reports say up to 75% of Americans have felt anxious or apprehensive about attending their dental appointments. This could range from something as minor as a general feeling of uneasiness, but some people avoid the dentist altogether due to their dental phobia. At New Image Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, our utmost concern is making our patients feel comfortable and at ease before, during, and after their visit. We completely understand the fear some patients may feel and it is our priority to do all we can to help you overcome any nervousness you are feeling.
Understanding Dental Anxiety and Dental Phobia
It is important to learn the differences between dental anxiety and dental phobia in order to better understand what you are going through:
- Dental anxiety: Dental anxiety presents itself in mild to moderate feelings of uneasiness when it comes to dental appointments or procedures. Exaggerated and possibly unfounded worries often accompany this anxiety, making it difficult to feel comfortable about your upcoming visit to the dentist.
- Dental phobia: This is a severe or intense dread some people experience upon the thought of dental work. Anyone suffering from this phobia isn’t merely anxious—they are often left panic-stricken or terrified. Experiencing dental phobia causes an inability or refusal to visit the dentist, which can lead to a higher risk of dental issues.
Overcoming Dental Phobia
When you visit the team at New Image, you can rest assured that we have treated many patients with the same feelings of uneasiness you may be experiencing. Our priority is making your time with us comfortable and relaxing, and we can help manage your anxiety through a variety of popular methods:
- Communication is key! Informing us right away of any fears or anxieties you are feeling will immediately help the situation. We will provide you with information that could aid in easing your fear and help you better understand what we will be working on with you.
- Distract yourself from the situation. Many children patients are provided with a TV program or movie to help divert their attention during dental procedures. Another option is to bring along personal headphones to your appointment to listen to your favorite music, podcast, or audio book!
- Take breaks now and then. We are more than happy to pause and step away if you are feeling anxious during dental work. By signaling to us that you’d like a moment to relax, this is an easy way to help stay in control and overcome your fear.
- Oral sedation is a reliable option. While this may depend on the type of dental work you are scheduled for, various types of sedation are available to you that can aid in your ability to comfortably sit through your procedure.
Let New Image Cosmetic & Family Dentistry Help You!
Dental care is extremely important for your overall health and the team at New Image is committed to making your visit comfortable, easy, and helpful! We understand the apprehensions toward dental work, and are more than happy to take all the necessary steps to make scheduling your next appointment fear-free. Call us now to set up your next visit!