Implant Post Op Instructions
You have just completed the first step of your implant treatment. The Implant does require a clean environment in order to heal properly. Following these instructions will aid in the healing process and greatly reduce the risk of complications.
For the First 24 Hours:
- To control minor bleeding, apply moderate pressure with gauze or a moist tea bag wrapped in gauze for 30 minutes.
- Avoid chewing until the numbness has worn off completely.
- You may experience some swelling after the procedure. Apply an ice pack to your cheek for a “20 minutes on, 20 minutes off” cycle for the rest of the day.
- Avoid jogging or vigorous activities that could increase your blood pressure.
- You may have some discomfort after the procedure. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicines (Advil or Ibuprofen) are helpful. Your doctor will prescribe a stronger pain medication that you may use as needed, but do not have to take or finish.
- If antibiotics are prescribed, it is important to take them for the indicated length of time, even if all symptoms and signs of infection are gone.
- Do NOT smoke for at least 72 hours after surgery.
- If you usually wear a removable denture or partial denture, we will give you specific instructions about wearing it while your implants are healing.
After 24 Hours:
- Drink plenty of liquids and eat soft nutritious foods, chewing on the opposite side of your mouth. Avoid hard or crunchy foods that could cause trauma to the implant. We will evaluate your situation in 3-5 days, to determine how soon you can chew on the implant.
- Also, avoid very hot or spicy foods until your gum tissue has healed.
- After the first day, apply moist heat to reduce swelling.
- After 24 hours, rinse with warm salt water (especially after meals), 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks. Mix 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of warm water.
- If you were given a specific mouth rinse, rinse with it 3 times daily until it’s gone.
- For the first 2 weeks, gently wipe the implant site with gauze or a cotton swab and do not brush or use a water pick around the implant until two weeks after surgery. However, you may brush and floss your other teeth.
- Limit yourself to calm activities for the first 3 to 5 days, to keep blood pressure stable and reduce bleeding.
- Sutures (if placed) will be removed within 10 -14 days.
If any questions or concerns, DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL our office or contact your doctor. Numbers are at the beginning of the instructions.