Do you feel tired or sleepy throughout the day? Do you think you might have sleep apnea? Luckily, there are two at-home tests available. To determine whether you may or may not have obstructive sleep apnea, complete the STOP BANG questionnaire below.
STOP BANG QUESTIONNAIRE
For each question, answer yes or no.
- Snoring Do you Snore Loudly (loud enough to be heard through closed doors or your bed-partner elbows you for snoring at night)?
- Tired Do you often feel Tired, Fatigued, or Sleepy during the daytime (such as falling asleep while driving or talking to someone)?
- Observed Has anyone Observed you Stop Breathing or Choking/Gasping during your sleep ?
- Pressure Do you have or are being treated for High Blood Pressure ?
- Body Mass Index more than 10% over ideal range?
- Age older than 50 ?
Neck size large? (Measured around Adams apple)
Gender = Male ?
OSA – Low Risk: Yes to 0 – 2 questions
OSA – Intermediate Risk: Yes to 3 – 4 questions
OSA – High Risk: Yes to 5 – 8 questions
If you received an immediate risk or high-risk result, you qualify for a free sleep apnea evaluation at our office. Our sleep apnea specialists will talk with you to see if you may have obstructive sleep apnea. Either call our office or submit your information to schedule your appointment!
EPWORTH SLEEPINESS SCALE
Daytime sleepiness is one symptom that you may have sleep apnea. To determine your level of daytime sleepiness, answer each question using the scale below:
- 0 – Would Never Doze or Sleep
- 1 – Slight Chance of Dozing or Sleeping
- 2 – Moderate Chance of Dozing or Sleeping
- 3 – High Chance of Dozing or Sleeping
Epworth Sleepiness Questions
- Sitting and Reading
- Watching TV
- Sitting inactive in a public place
- Being a passenger in a car for an hour
- Lying down in the afternoon
- Sitting and Talking to someone
- Sitting quietly after lunch (no alcohol)
- Stopping for a few minutes in traffic while driving
Calculate your score to learn your level of daytime sleepiness
- 0-10 Normal range in healthy adults
- 11-14 Mild sleepiness
- 15-17 Moderate sleepiness
- 18 or higher Severe sleepiness
If you have moderate to severe sleepiness, we would be happy to provide a free evaluation to see if you have sleep apnea. Our friendly staff is ready to answer all of your questions – give us a call today!